There are no translations available.
Although it is meant for motor cars, the motor car batteries are used as a source of household electricity. The battery produces an electric current as a result of chemical reactions that take place inside the battery cell. At the end of this process it is necessary to recharge the battery. During recharging the lost current is installed by a process of reverse chemical reaction.
These batteries can be recharged over and over for number of years. When using these batteries for motor cars you need not recharge them as it continue to recharge when the engine is in operation. However, when it is used for household purposes like house lighting, watching TVs etc. recharging is important when the battery is dead.
This recharging operation can be carried out using the electricity generated by wind powered electric generators established in household premises. Two things are important regarding rechargeable batteries i.e. battery life and safety of the battery.
Recharging is regulated automatically by a charge controller unit attached to the system. Check for any defect in charge controller unit if it failed to recharge or overcharging the battery.
Protective measures to be taken
- Battery cell caps should be tight enough.
- Battery terminals should be tighten and apply grease on it.
- Replace the battery, if it is defective.
- Protect it from animals.
- Keep away from fire.
- Keep away from children.
- Do not keep any metal or wire pieces on the battery as it may cause fire hazards.
- Provide sufficient aeration as Hydrogen gas which evolves from battery cells during charging process is liable to ignite easily.
- Handle battery acid with care as it may cause burning. If you come in contact with battery acid wash it well with water.
- Disposal of used batteries
As batteries contain harmful substances such as sulfuric acid, arsenic, lead etc. dispose them carefully to avoid any environmental hazards.
Point to keep in mind
- Sites for wind powered electric generators should be selected carefully. There should be no large trees in the vicinity and should be a high ground in a windy area.
- Prior to establishing a generator house wiring should be completed to suit either 12 v Direct current or 230v alternate current supply.
- Battery can be connected directly to house wiring system if 15v DC is used.
- If AC current is using, seek the assistance from a qualified engineer.